20 March 2012

Mamasita

No Reservations.

It's becoming an increasingly popular term in Melbourne and I don't think I like it. Being a daggy suburbanite, driving all the way to town to take my chances somewhere I may or may not get a table isn't really my idea of fun night out. But naturally my curiosity was aroused when I first read about a hip new (and authentic) Mexican eatery, whose long queues are just as famous as the tacos. I finally got the chance to check it out a couple of weeks ago when my husband and I acquired a case of the post-gig munchies.

Situated up a discreet stairwell at the Paris end of Collins St it is the perfect place for a late night snack (it's open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights), away from the raging night spots and accompanying drunken louts. Given Mamasita's popularity I was half expecting a line when we arrived at 12.30am, thankfully there wasn't because I was starving. In fact it was half empty which put me at ease knowing I wouldn't have to rush through my meal to free up the table.

The decor is simple yet hip taking inspiration from the taquerias of Mexico with a dash of Melbourne style. While I can imagine it being slightly chaotic at dinner time, at this late hour the vibe was relaxed, with dimmed lights and chilled grooves on the sound system, giving it the air of a funky supper club cum tequila bar rather than a busy eatery. While going late bypasses the queue the downside is past 11pm only half the menu (starters, tacos and quesadillas) is available. While the limited menu has the perfect selection of tidbits to hit the spot after a night out, I am definitely going to have to return during the day to sample the tempting tostaditas and mains.

The impressive drinks list has been carefully selected to compliment the Mexican cuisine and includes an extensive range of tequilas (ranging from 9 to 95 dollars), Spanish Wines and several obscure Mexican beers. I chose a Mojito granita from the cocktail menu and my partner a Negra Modelo beer which was recommended to him by our knowledgeable waitress. The mojito was a little too limey for my tastes, enough to make my mouth pucker for the first few sips but the double shot of Mt Gay rum certainly got me rather merry by the end of our meal.

We started with two tacos an 'al Pastor' (brasied pork, pineapple, corinader and white onion) and a 'de Chorizo' (chorizo, cabbage, chipotle, coriander, onion). The al Pastor was faultless; a mouth watering blend of caramelised shredded lean pork (similar to pulled pork) which was complemented by the sweet hit of chopped up pineapple. The de Chorizo was a little hit and miss due to the chipotle being unevenly distibuted around the filling (I assume it was sprinkled over the top rather than mixed into the meat) which caused some mouthfuls to be searingly hot and others with no chilli at all. Although I enjoyed the dry, smokey heat of the chipotle it was a little too hot for my tastes, thankfully I had the icy granita to cool my mouth!

We also had 2 quesadillas, a 'de Pollo' (chargrilled chicken with 'pico de gallo', coriander and queso fresco) and a superb lamb and mint one (of which I forgot to take down the proper name). The queso fresco, a mild cows milk cheese with a feta like consistency was a subtle addition to the chicken quesadilla and a nice change from the mountains of tasty cheddar you come across in other so called 'Mexican' eateries. The lamb quesadilla was juicy and tender and came with a pleasing swirl of fresh mint paste on top, always the winning combination.

Along with the food came a few complimentary accompaniments, two bottles of habanero chilli sauce, in lurid green or red and a small dish of extra pico de gallo which was a salsa of finely diced cucumber, lemon, coriander, chilli and oil. This little concoction was the unexpected highlight of the meal. So very simple but incredibly delicious. I would have happily eaten on its own with a spoon if I didn't have to share!

So I can happily say that the food at Mamasita certainly lives up to the hype. It's not the kind of place you go for exemplary table service or presentation, it's just a good place for a quick in and out kind of meal. You get what you pay for but in this case the food doesn't come off second best. So next time you're wandering around the city in search of late night bite to eat give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed!

Mamasita- 1/11 Collins St, Melbourne CBD

Mamasita on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment