24 April 2013

Paleo Banana Muffins

As a hardcore foodie I've always been pretty dubious of diets, how can food possibly taste good when  you're not allowed to eat all the things (sugar, fat etc) that make something delicious? This year, in an attempt to shed some kgs and improve my overall wellbeing, I've been drawing inspiration from both the 'clean' and Paleo ways of eating to help me create healthy but still tasty meals. Hopefully I can post up some more of my recipes when I have a spare moment but in the meantime you can check out my Instagram @Little_Tuckerbox to see what I've been up to. 

These muffins take all of 30 minutes to make from start to finish and are sugar and gluten free. If you prefer a slightly sweeter muffin you can add some sugar of your choice. I made half of this batch with organic coconut sugar which is a low GI and far healthier alternative to cane sugar, it has a pleasant toffee taste and smell, similar to brown sugar and goes perfectly with banana. You could also replace the butter with an equal amount of coconut oil to make the recipe dairy free. 


2 cups almond meal
3 very ripe bananas mashed 
4 eggs
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs almond butter
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt 
3 tbs coconut sugar (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (Celsius) 

2. Whisk eggs and mix in banana, spices, salt, baking powder, pecans, butters and sugar (if you're using it). Combine with a spoon then fold in almond meal. 

3. Divide into muffin tin (should make around 12 medium sized muffins) and cook for around 20 minutes or until firm and golden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment